- DP revalidation course
- Entry Requirements
- Target Group
- Learning Process and Assessement
The course is intended for those who have already been issued a DPO Certificate from the NI but are unable to revalidate their DPO Certificate if they have not gained sufficient DP sea time. The overall course aim is to update the DPOs with the latest rules and regulations, position references and sensors, known DP incidents and lessons learned. At the end of the course, the student should:
- Have acquired knowledge of the latest rules and regulations
- Have acquired knowledge of the latest developments within sensors and PRS
- Have acquired knowledge of the latest relevant DP incidents and why they occurred
- Be able to recognise the various alarm, warning and information messages
- Carry out operational planning, risk assessment and hazard identification tasks
- Set up the DP system for a particular task/operation
- Decide on courses of action because of systems failure
DPO certificate issued by The Nautical Institute. Revalidation Course may be completed up to 6 months before the revalidation date set by The NI and will be valid for a period of 12 months only.
If the participant is completing the course for the first time, there is no minimum DP sea time requirement. If the participant is completing the course for a second or subsequent time, a minimum of 28 days DP sea time will be required to revalidate. This DP time may be completed prior to or after the revalidation course.
Number of Candidates The NI allows a maximum of four students per class being taught by one instructor per one Class B or A Simulator.
By exception and where justified, five or six students may be considered
Course Languages and Course Material: English
English language is the language used for the training standard. Knowledge, understanding and speaking of English language is a minimum requirement to enter into the course. IMAT centre reserves the right to reject students if they do not meet the minimum language level to be admitted in the DP course, without any refund.
- Study of DP incidents
- Construction and use of work site diagrams, charts and vessel templates for use in DP operations
- Preparation of plans for a projected DP operation, contingency plans for expected deviations and emergencies
- Participation in simulated situations in a variety of DP operations while handling routine and emergency situations
- Risk and safety analysis, and defining DP equipment classes
- The DP system’s utilization of position measurements, and tests on position reference systems
- DPO CERTIFICATE: UNCLASSED or LIMITED or UNLIMITED (original)
- DP Logbook or Revalidation Logbook (original)
- English Dictionary for online examination
- e-mail address registered at Nautical Institute and Customer Number
- 2 photo size 35mmx45mm
- N.I.P. Code or Tax Identification Number
Training will be split equally between theory and practical exercises. Theory may be used to support the practical exercises either as a briefing, a de-briefing or for demonstration purposes.
The assessment for the Revalidation Course includes a theoretical (NI online) exam and a practical assessment. Each component must be completed successfully. There is no specific order in which they must be completed. After the course is completed, an entry will be made in the appropriate logbook.
The Nautical Institute Revalidation Logbook is available for purchase at price of £___(excluding VAT). This new logbook can be used for revalidation and conversion of a Nautical Institute DP Certificate and can be bought online here.
The Course is total 5 days (34 hours theoretical and practical lesson) included a final assessment the last day
Day 1: from 8.30 to 13.00 – 14.00 to 16.45 coffee break 15’/Lunch 13:00 to 14:00 included)
Day 2: from 8.30 to 13.00 – 14.00 to 16.45 (coffee break 15’/Lunch 13:00 to 14:00 included)
Day 3: from 8.30 to 13.00 – 14.00 to 16.45 (coffee break 15’/Lunch 13:00 to 14:00 included)
Day 4: from 8.30 to 13.00 – 14.00 to 16.45 (coffee break 15’/Lunch 13:00 to 14:00 included)
Day 5 :from 8.30 to 13.00 – 14.00 to 16.45 with Practical and Online Assessment (coffee break/Lunch included)
The DP Revalidation course certificate will be issued on successful completion of the course, the course will be registered on DP Logbook.
STCW Part B1 – Guidance on the Training and Experience for Personnel Operating Dynamic Positioning Systems
The courses are weekly organized except the second, third week of August and the Christmas holiday season. In addition, courses are organized on request through private or corporate bookings.